Wednesday, September 21, 2011

mah knittas.

Knitting: A word & an act that auto associates itself with
Grannys in rocking chairs.



& here's to an artist sticking a middle finger up to that presumption...
...Agata Oleksiak (Olek)

New York City-based artist takes her yarn and bombs the city with
exploding colours & crocheted madness.


"Yo yo yo, mah knittas! Olek is in da house…
sitting quietly, knitting seriously, day after day after day."




“I can be found in my studio with a pile of movies to watch
and a bottle of spiced Polish vodka,
aggressively re-weaving the world as I see fit.”







She's all for the knit existence.
Hence this explosion exists not just as random outbursts on the streets.
But huge kaboom if you ever walk into such a heavy knit
interior space.


Tell me you wouldn't freak out if you saw this wandering
around with you.



More than just a crazy reporter strapped in this knit stray jacket.
She also pimps some rides





Bulls Knit
-- gotta love the word plays.



“It was truly a year of guerrilla actions that opened a new path in my crocheted investigations. I started it with a bike and ended up with the Charging Bull as a Christmas gift to NYC and a tribute to the sculptor of the bull, Arturo di Modica, who in another guerrilla act, placed the bull on Wall Street in Christmas of 1987 as a symbol of the ‘strength and power of the American people’ following the 1987 Stock Market crash. This crocheted cover represents my best wishes to all of us. It will be a great, prosperous year with many wonderful surprises!!!”




So now that the fall has rolled around and smacked us in the face.
I've decided that this year maybe instead of investing
a million dollars into buying scarves, I might just knit/crochet one myself.

(Surprise! Little Mok does have other non-sense skills!)

- - -
by: Olek -- New York City.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...